Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Gluten Free Fresh Berry Clafoutis

I'm quite embarrassed by the lack of posting, but as it is, life happens. Sometimes we don't make enough time for the things that matter most, like food. What I've come to begrudgingly learn, however, is there there are more important things than shamefully decadent food. Healthy food and the health of those we love have become far more important. So I set down my bleached wheat flour and picked up my coconut and almond flour and began playing--all for the love of my better half who is intolerant to such floury delights.  Wanting to stay true to the things I love most, I decided to reconstruct one of my favorite dishes, Blackberry Clafoutis, so that my love can enjoy it. Enter, Gluten Free Fresh Berry Clafoutis.

I'm new to using gluten free flours and I'm certain with time my experiments will become all the more palatable, but for a first stab at this reconstruction, I'm quite proud. I added less overall flour because of the absorbancy powers of the coconut flour but wanted to kick in some almond flour because I have thus far (admittedly) been underwhelmed by the outcomes of 100% coconut. I'll continue to play around with it and update as necessary.

What you'll need:

  • 1/4 cup of coconut flour
  • 1/8 cup of almond flour
  • 1/4 cup of sugar (1/3 to make it more like a desert)
  • 3 eggs (at room temp)
  • 1/3 cup of milk
  • Zest of one lemon
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • A handful of fresh berries (I prefer blackberries and raspberries)
  • A pinch of salt
Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a pie pan. Combine the flours, sugar, and salt. Whisk in the lemon zest, butter, eggs, and milk until well blended. Pour into your pie pan and topple with the berries. It's a matter of preference how much pastry-to-berry you want. Bake for 30 min or until the sides brown and the top begins to follow suit. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm of cold, but always best with a nice cup of tea. 








No comments:

Post a Comment