Thursday, June 21, 2012

Prosciutto Caprese Pockets

My dear friend, Heather and I absolutely love to make baked tomatoes and serve them with French bread and brie. Wanting to use our tomato recipe (which she deserves full credit for) in a slightly healthier, more diet-friendly way (considering I can no longer eat bread nor cheese) I decided to play around with making little caprese pockets. What became of my messing around in the kitchen was extraordinary...and quite amusing little bouches if you ask me.

What you'll need:

A bunch of Thyme
1 cup cherry or plum tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped finely
8-10 large fresh basil leaves
8-10 slices of prosciutto
3/4 cup olive oil (I used a mix of regular and garlic-infused)
A pinch of salt 

What to do:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take a casserole pan or small oven friendly dish and combine tomatoes, olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and a pinch of salt (you'll get plenty of salt from the prosciutto so don't overdo it). Place in center of oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes soften and begin to release their juices but don't explode (see picture). While the tomatoes are cooking, lay out the prosciutto and put a basil leaf in the center of each piece. Depending on the cut of prosciutto I recommend a 4"x4" piece if possible (feel free to double the prosciutto to make it stronger, to avoid seeping). Spoon 2-3 tomatoes (with sauce!) into each basil leaf. Fold the prosciutto into pockets and tie together with a sprig of Thyme. Serve immediately.

*Note: I never use measuring devices when playing in the kitchen so my serving suggestions are mere estimates and I highly encourage you to find what ratio suits you best. For example, I really love garlic so I overwhelm my dishes with it. You may not. Feel free to experiment!







No comments:

Post a Comment