Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wild Rice and Coconut Berry Pudding (revised)

A couple years ago I made  a rice pudding with sweet wild rice, coconut, and almond shavings. It was a beautiful Autumn dessert. Because of my new dietary restrictions, I have been looking more at making rice dishes. But with summer upon us I wanted to revise the dish to be more seasonally appropriate. And here goes...

What you'll need:
1 Cup wild sweet rice
3 Cups water
1/2 Cup sugar (I use Lavendar Sugar but that could be hard to find)
Coconut milk (you'll see I used light coconut milk. I HIGHLY recommend using regular coconut milk instead)
A handful of assorted berries (I used blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries)

What to do:

Soak the rice in water for at least 8 hours prior beginning. This will soften the rice and remove the massive film that forms on this kind of rice. Once rice has soaked add it to the 3 cups of water and place on Med-Low heat for about 20-30 minutes. Allow the mixture to transform into a bubbling semi-liquid, then add the sugar and mix well. Cover the mixture and continue to cook on low for another 10 minutes. When the mix is of porridge consistency remove from heat and place in serving dishes. Add coconut mil to your liking and top with the assortment of berries. Enjoy warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment